Ochsner Surgical Interest GroupBy UQSIG Administrator | 10:07 pm
OMSA Surgery Interest Group: A student-run organization aimed at improving the resources and clinical experience of students interested in pursuing a career in surgery. By organizing clinically
relevant workshops, informative discussions with faculty, and providing better access to match resources, we hope to give every interested applicant the tools to become a successful IMG candidate.
1. Explore career issues
2. Obtain exposure to a variety of surgical fields
3. Identify and collaborate on research opportunities (via peers and/or residents and staff/consultants)
4. Develop mentoring relationships (with staff/consultants, residents and peers)
5. Obtain information regarding sub-Is/away rotations, core clerkships, residency programs and being an IMG
Resources we hope to provide you with:
1. Surgical specialties
-What specialties are available through the match?
-USMLE board scores and competitive-ness
-Choosing an advisor/mentor
2. Sub-Internships/Away Rotations
-Between years 3-4 (end of year elective during “summer holidays”) or during year 4
-Where to go, who to know, and how to behave
3. When to take USMLE Step 2 CS/CK
-Scheduling & choosing a test date
-Study advice & resources
-UWorld Qbank, NBME
5. Extra-curricular info
-Upcoming abstract deadlines, conferences, etc.
-Opportunities for med students to get help with research projects, etc.
-Memberships & societies
6. Applying to residency:
-Application process—early match vs. regular match
-Personal statement workshop
-How many programs should I apply to?
-Am I competitive enough? Should I have a back-up plan?
-What to look for in programs—are you considering fellowship or academic or private/community practice?
1. Community vs. academic programs
2. Categorical vs. preliminary positions
-Info on previous UQ/Ochsner match data